Thursday, March 18, 2010

Chunky Monkeys

I am so happy to report that at their 2 week checkup both Kenzie & Lexi surpased their birth weights! Kenzie now weighs 6 lbs 7oz vs. 6 lbs 6oz at birth and Lexi weighs 6 lbs 5oz vs. 6lbs 1oz at birth. This feels like such an achievement because we have been having such a challenging time with their feedings. I love my little chunky monkeys!

I had planned to exclusively breastfeed the girls, but when the home nurse visited us on Day 4 they had both already lost 10% of their birthweight, so we had to start supplementing their feedings with some formula. At their one week appointment they had started to gain back some weight, but were still below their birth weights. I am still having trouble with my milk supply, so we are now breastfeeding, bottle supplementing, and then pumping at every feeding. It is quite exhausting, but I keep reminding myself that every drop of breastmilk that they get helps build their immunity and will make them healthier and stronger. Hopefully we won't have to continue this routine forever ... we will see how things progress and make whatever decision results in the best mental and physical wellbeing for all of us ;)
In the mean time I am just so happy that my girls are growing. I love their little buddha bellies!


No comments:

Post a Comment