Monday, October 15, 2012

{daddy's away ... mommy's away}

Last weekend Randall drove down to Mississippi to attend his friend Lee's wedding.  This meant it was a girls weekend for us.

On Friday evening we went to the mall to pick up a Halloween costume that they were holding for me at Pottery Barn Kids. The girls also declared that they needed a belt because their pants were falling down. So we did a little shopping, had dinner and celebrated the kickoff of our girls weekend with a little ice cream (they both slept in their beds all night on Thursday evening so they had been promised a special treat :)).

Since Thursday night went so well, I was hopeful at bedtime on Friday. But it was raining, which meant that “somdybody was making noise on her (Kenzie’s) window” (that’s what she says when she hears rain on their skylight and somdybody is how she says somebody :) it makes me smile every time.), which meant that Kenzie refused to get in her bed. She begged to sleep in mommy & daddy’s bed. So I gave in and laid down with her in our bed. It wasn’t long before I could hear Lexi whimpering in her bed. “Sisie needs your help,” Kenzie declared and soon there were 3 of us in bed together. I guess my girls thought that a girls weekend called for a sleepover. I had intended to do laundry and clean the kitchen after the girls went to bed, but I decided to forget about my to-do list and snuggle with my girls. And I am so glad that I did. As the 3 of lay there in the darkness on the verge of sleep, Kenzie traced the contours of my face and said “I love you Mommy. You’re beautiful.” And I melted at this perfect compliment from my daughter. After they went to sleep I just lay there for a long time watching them sleep, in complete awe that they are MY daughters. I love them so and I love these moments with them. I need to forget about my to-do list more often and just be 100% present with them.


On Saturday morning Cara came over to watch the girls for a bit so that I could complete my 14 mile training run.  They were excited to see her, not excited when I went to leave, but cheered up very quickly and then had a great time with Cara while I ran.  It was a gorgeous crisp fall morning and I felt good.  When I started this training program I thought that by the time the mileage got this high that I would be anxious to train with a group, but I have come to find that I really enjoy running alone.  It gives me time to think, time to pray, time to just be and not have to concerned about whether my pace is too slow or fast for someone else.  I feel very free when I am running (slow as I may be).


When I got home the girls were happy to see me and we went out for a nice lunch together. After they napped we took a trip to Target and then came home and had dinner together. Not a very exciting day, but we were all happy to just spend time together. They did have a bout of missing their Daddy when they awoke from their nap, but we fixed that with a phone call to dad, followed by some snuggle time with Tobi on the couch.

Sunday morning we woke up and decided to make pumpkin waffles for breakfast. The girls love helping and are even getting good at cracking the eggs. After breakfast we got bundled up for the Hyde Park Art Show. It started raining on our way there so we detoured with a trip to the craft store – which is always a hit – to get some supplies to paint pumpkins later in the day. Then we were off to the cloudy, drizzly art show. The girls were pretty cold and their whining was not making it very easy for me to actually enjoy any art, so we decided to head indoors for some lunch. And while we were having lunch the sun came out. This made it much more pleasant and after lunch we spent some more time checking out the artist booths and even had some frozen yogurt. While we didn’t purchase any art, the girls did score some new Tiny Toms from Morrison & Me … complete with their own mini shopping bags. They were happy and were quite the hit.

After naps we painted our pumpkins.  This was a fun but messy project J  Then we went to Dewey’s for dinner as the girls wanted to go see “the pizza man.”  They love watching the guys make the pizza.  And they were even more excited when daddy joined us at Dewey’s just in time to eat.  A perfect finish to our weekend.  We were happy to all be together again ... at least for one night.

On Sunday after the girls went to bed, Randall unpacked his suitcase so that I could repack it for my trip to Madrid on Monday. It was a fairly last minute work trip and while I was excited at the opportunity to go to Spain, I am never excited to leave my girls.

They were okay when I left on Monday, as I promised them that I would be back in a few days just like Daddy had been. It seems that they have been pretty good for their daddy. I have talked to them on the phone a few times, and last night they were very excited to show me that they had learned some Spanish in school and were shouting, “Hola! Adios!” the whole time :)


I didn’t get to see much of Madrid as I was staying in an industrial area in the suburb where our office is. I did find time to fit in my runs, and we did get a chance to head into the center of Madrid for dinner and a bit of sightseeing on our last night there.

Apparently last night while the girls were on a run with Randall, they spotted an airplane and Kenzie said, “Mommy’s plane!” They were both very excited until the plane flew out of sight and then they both started crying. My sweet baby girls. I miss them too and am so happy to be on the plane on my way back home to see them.



I received the best surprise when I landed in Cincinnati - Randall & my girls were there to greet me at the airport!  The excitement on their faces when they saw me brought tears to my eyes.  It felt so good to all be back together again. 

Looking forward to this weekend of being home together!


No comments:

Post a Comment