Sunday, May 27, 2012

{missing my girls}


I had a last minute work trip to Geneva this week. It is only the second time that I have had to travel for work since the girls were born, and I must say that I am happy that I don’t have to do it often. I just don’t like to be away from my babies. It didn’t help that on Monday the day that I left, I decided to go have lunch with the girls before heading to the airport. They were still sleeping when I left for work that morning, and I wanted to see them and say goodbye before leaving for the week. Well this was a mistake. Kenzie & Lexi knew that I was leaving and this is the first time that they really understood what that means. Lexi immediately started being very clingy and when I went to put them down for their nap she started sobbing saying, “Mommy, no go bye bye! No go bye bye!” I would rock her and get her to calm down and she would say, “Mommy go bye bye. No cry.” But as soon as I would lay her back down in her bed the tears would start again. I finally had to leave her crying so that I didn’t miss my flight. Talk about mommy guilt.


There were moments on the flight where I teared up thinking about my girls…missing them already. At 8:30pm I thought about how they would be taking their bath and getting ready for bed. I wanted to be there with them. I really don’t like the flight time – the feeling of being completely disconnected from them and not knowing if something is wrong. Of course everything was okay, but I don’t like the unknown . I said a prayer and asked God to watch over Randall and my babies.

While in Geneva I had the chance to go for a run one evening. It was a gorgeous night and running through the old familiar places made me very nostalgic for our time in Geneva. So many memories in the cobblestone streets of old town, our old apartment overlooking Tobi’s park, around the lake … Being there made me want to live there again with our girls. I thought about all that I would show them, all of the new experiences they would have. I thought about them learning to speak French, trips to the market to buy fresh baguettes and cheese, teaching them to ski. It was so fun to daydream as I ran. I want to show my girls the world and share new experiences with them. Living abroad with Randall and our girls has been added to my bucket list. Not sure when but hopefully one day. At minimum lots of travel. .. maybe not when they are two but soon.

I am on my way home now … wishing away the 9 and a half hours until I get to see my girls & Randall & Tobi again. I love to see the world but I also love to return home (especially when those that make my home a home aren’t traveling with me). And I am returning home to a busy weekend … our 5th annual Crawfish boil is tomorrow. That means 100+ people will be arriving at our home in ~24 hours. I owe Randall big time as he has been doing a lot to prepare this week while I have been gone. Excited to celebrate with everyone tomorrow … let’s just hope I’m not jet lagged :)




No comments:

Post a Comment