Monday, October 25, 2010

VBFFEAA

Becky and I met in the third grade and quickly became VBFFEAA’s. We called each other every morning before school so that we could plan our matching outfits, wrote each other notes during class - signing them VBFFEAA, had secret club-meetings and shared our first crush (on the same boy of course, writing his initials with big hearts on the bottom of our Keds and on the inside of our Trapper Keepers J). For two years, we were inseparable. And then I moved and went to a different school, and while we kept in touch for a while, we drifted apart.

Fast forward, nine years to our first year in College. It is move-in day at the University of Virginia and as I am walking around our dorm suite checking out the names on the various doors, I notice the name of my VBFFEAA. Ok, so maybe there could be another Rebecca Lee, but somehow I knew that it would be her … (and it turns out that Becky had the same experience but KNEW that there couldn’t possibly be another Antje Hoepner). And so we reunited and shared 4 very special years together at UVA … studying together, partying together, making new friendships together and creating memories that would last a lifetime.
And while after college, we once again went our separate ways, we knew that our friendship could survive time and distance. And while we don’t get to see one another nearly as much as we’d like, our friendship continues to grow stronger. We have shared fun girls’ weekends in various locations around the country (Austin, LA, Chicago, DC, New York, Cincinnati, Charlottesville), were bridesmaids in each other’s weddings, and traveled through Italy and Switzerland together with our husbands. We have shared everything with one another, including sadly our struggles with infertility. For nearly two years Becky and I were on a similar journey and while I would not wish this journey upon anyone (especially not my VBFFEAA) it was so comforting to have her there with me. We shared our stories and our struggles and I love her even more because of it. And like only my VBFFEAA could, Becky has been genuinely happy and excited for me through every step of my pregnancy and new motherhood even while she continued to yearn for her own baby. I have continued to hope and pray for her each and every day. Well, now Becky is so close to realizing her own dream of motherhood through adoption and I am beyond excited and happy for her!
This past weekend Becky came to Cincinnati for yet another girls’ weekend. But this time there were two additional girls present to share in the fun – my daughters Kenzie & Lexi. We had a busy weekend, including a walk to our neighborhood coffee shop for breakfast, a Halloween book reading complete with costumes, an afternoon at the park, a dinner party & a walk to the farmers market. Thank you Becky for making the trip to Cincinnati to help me with the girls while Randall was out of town! The girls love their Aunt Becky and I’m so glad I got to spend so much quality time with you! I hope that they didn’t wear you out too much and that you got some good insider-tips for when “Small Paul” comes home to you! You are going to be one fabulous momma … I have know this about you since the third grade!

Lexi with my Very Best Friend Forever and Always

1 comment: