Monday, October 18, 2010

Getting to know our Opa

My dad came to visit us from Germany last week and the girls got to meet their Opa for the first time. Since they aren’t really used to being around men, besides their Daddy, I was a bit nervous about how the girls would react to him and feared that it may take them a while to warm up to him. My worries turned out to be for naught, because both Kenzie and Lexi greeted their Opa with big smiles and really enjoyed their time with him. As my dad said, “it was as if they knew that he was family.” I wondered how the girls would react to his beard and it turned out that they were both fascinated by it. They loved reaching out and touching it … and pulling on it (maybe they will actually like going to sit on Santa’s lap .. we’ll just have to make sure to find a Santa with a real beard or they might pull it off J) . Kenzie & Lexi enjoyed playing “Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter” with Opa and they liked listening to him read “Die Kleine Raupe Nimmersatt” (the German translation of The Very Hungry Caterpillar). I am so happy that my Dad got to spend this quality time with his first grandchildren. I think he had as much fun as they did! We look forward to bringing the girls to visit their Opa in Fehmarn (a German island in the Baltic Sea) at some point in the next couple of years. I have so many fond memories of going to visit my Oma & Opa there as I was growing up and I want Kenzie & Lexi to have the same experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment