Wednesday, March 7, 2012

{two times two}

Kenzie & Lexi turned TWO on Saturday. I can't believe my daughters are TWO! We had such a fun birthday celebration weekend with both Omi K and Granny in town.

My mom (Omi) arrived on Thursday night, but after the girls had gone to bed. On Friday morning at about 6:45am, Lexi woke up and started talking in her crib. This is pretty normal, but usually she ends up laying back down and going back to sleep until at least 8am. All of a sudden, I hear giggles coming from the girls room … from both Lexi and Kenzie. My mom was so excited to see the girls that she just couldn’t wait any longer and rushed in at their first peep :) I wanted to be angry … you never wake a sleeping baby toddler twin, right? Plus, I had many things planned in that precious hour … like showering, emptying the dishwasher, etc. … but the girls were so excited to see their Omi and vice versa that I couldn’t be too upset :) They were so loving to my mom, giving her hugs and kisses right away even thought they hadn’t seen her since Thanksgiving. When my mom asked Lexi how old she was going to be on her birthday she immediately answered, “TWO! CAKE!” Too funny, as we usually ask her 2 questions. How old she is going to be? And what she is going to have at her party? I guess she figured she would just answer both questions in one go :)

Since we got an early start on the day we decided to head to Lookout Joe’s for breakfast, before heading to Joseph Beth for story time. The girls had such a great time at breakfast with Omi … and ate more than we did! Sara then met us at the bookstore and stayed there with my mom and the girls while I ran some errands to get ready for their party on Saturday. The girls kept saying “Omi sit!” so that they could sit on her lap and read books.

lk24


Granny Gail (Gigi) arrived on Friday afternoon at just the right time during a break in the storms. The girls were very excited that they had 2 grandmothers there when they woke up from their nap. That evening we all went to our favorite local Mexican place for dinner. The girls LOVE their beans (and ate a ton of them) and we asked them to sing happy birthday to the girls. They weren’t too sure about that at first, but once they spotted the ice cream that came along with the song they were sold :)


lk22


Saturday was the big day and the girls woke up to a room filled with balloons! Once Lexi overcame her initial shock/fear … they thought that this was the coolest thing ever. I loved it because I think it made them realize that THIS was indeed their birthday. Immediately after we sang happy birthday to them, Lexi asked hopefully, “CAKE?!” While we didn’t have cake for breakfast we did put a candle in their French toast :) We then spent the next couple of hours opening presents … goodness these girls are spoiled! They had a blast playing with their new toys … from leap frog laptops, to gardening and cleaning tools, to a play house, to a princess doll and matching dress up clothes, to new Thomas choo-choo trains … it was a bit overwhelming. It was so funny to watch them. As Lexi was enjoying being a princess, Kenzie preferred the role of Cinderella before the ball …. cleaning in her cowgirl boots :)

lk26

After a trip to the bookstore for some play time and lunch, it was time for the girls to nap and the rest of us to furiously prepare for the party. Apparently Lexi was so excited about her party that she did not want to nap … not good since I had quite a lot of work to do to transform our house into the Lemoine Ranch :) Thankfully I was finally able to convince her to nap and somehow we pulled it all off in the nick of time…. thanks to Omi and Gigi’s help!

The party was a success! More pics & details to come in a separate post, but here are a few pictures that Sara took of our little birthday cowgirls … and their Daddy who surprised us all by coming down for the party in full Cowboy/sheriff gear! Love it!
lk2


We continued the fun on Sunday with breakfast at the Echo and a trip to the Children’s Museum.

lk25


The girls had so much fun … but unfortunately Lexi seems to have brought a bug home from the museum center with her. She started acting cranky on Sunday night and has been running a fever since Monday. Last night she had a 104 fever and was miserable. Lexi is so much more dramatic than Kenzie is when she is sick. Last night she kept wailing, “Hurts Mommy! WHHHHYYYY Mommy?” My poor baby. Although she is now 2 and weights over 26 pounds, she is still my little baby and I just want to make her feel better. During our sleepless night last night I carried her and rocked her and sang to her just as I did when she was a little 6 pound newborn. And when her head would sink into the crevice between my neck and collarbone and her breathing would slow … it brought me right back to those early days. What a ride the past 2 years have been! More on my girls at TWO in a separate post … now back to caring for my sick baby who I hope feels all better very soon. I am so ready for the sick season to be over! I guess I should just be thankful that both Kenzie & Lexi were healthy for their 2nd birthday & party :)

1 comment: